Monday, April 15, 2013

The day after....days after a show

So, it is Monday....I had an art show this weekend. We had beautiful weather and it was in a beautiful city square. I got to paint some, enjoy some herbal tea, gourmet popcorn, Oreo rice crispy treats from a bake sale to support local dancers, and the company of my amazing son and good friends...i even saw a friend from my first teaching job in east Texas. (such a treat!)

Today, I am home with my youngest, (as usual)...i'm a SAHM....but today we are huddled up and watching cartoons...no going to the gym, no local playroom, no running around or simply enjoying the back yard...

Why?

1. my youngest is not feeling well...
we spend a lot of time outside these days, and allergies seem to be hitting her big-time...stuffy nose, coughing...possibly a cold...but, she doesn't feel well at all...so that is enough to batten down the hatches...lots of honey-ginger tea is being consumed this morning....

2.I'm still recovering from Saturday...

Yes, RECOVERING....

Why? (you may ask...or maybe not...) Why would i need to recover from such a great art event?

Well, a couple of reasons...

First off:  I am a major introvert....so being out in a public  forum, interacting with people...seriously wears me out...this is something i am owning up to and embracing these days. It used to be a huge source of confusion not only for myself, but for others. (and still is for others at times)...but, as an introvert, large crowds, talking to people in any capacity, answering questions, putting my artwork out for people to eye and judge...is sheer exhaustion...and i happen to know that it is like this for several of my artist friends...it's an energy thing...it takes a great deal of our energy to make the work in the first place, but to deal with everything else, almost sends our systems into failure..

Second off: Autoimmune disease kicks in big time after times of stress....like being out in public, talking to people, etc....so, all day yesterday, i felt like i got hit by a bus....my brain hurt, my body felt like i had the flu, but mostly my brain hurt...and all i wanted was to take a nap or simply relax...which didn't happen despite great effort otherwise....

So, today,I am taking full advantage of setting some boundaries with my personal energy. Today i'm not answering my phone, text messages, or pm's ....I've already gotten a few, and I will just have to get back to them later. Today is about recovering my energy and getting back into balance. Otherwise I know I will be useless the rest of the week.

Why? Because this is part of my commitment to perfect health...understanding my own limitations and doing what is necessary to be healthy so I can take care of my family.

This is a skill I was first introduced to by a dear friend of mine who is my mental guru when it comes to taking ownership of one's health, knowing one's limits, and setting boundaries in order to insure one is at their optimal health standard. The first time she told me to set boundaries for my health was when i first started teaching. I simply could not wrap my head around this. I was stuck in the idea that I had to take care of everyone else first and myself last. It has taken me years, and the development of this autoimmune disease to finally "allow" myself to simply say, "no" or, "i can't do that."





Sometimes people get upset when I say " no" or "i can't do that"...and I have come to realize, that this  is their issue to deal with...not mine...I no longer worry about that...easier said than done at times.

But today is all about recovery...for me and for my youngest....
ginger tea with honey...cartoons...juice...healthy food....rest...and later some yoga...

It is imperative that we do what is necessary to be healthy....when we are ill, or simply don't feel good...that is the way our body tells us we need to rest, and need to  take care of ourselves...





No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...