Tuesday, July 9, 2013

Urban gardening

One of the first things I knew I wanted to do when we made the move from the city to the burbs, from apartment living to a house with a yard ...was to have a garden. 
Gardening is in my soul. I can't say I have  a green thumb. But I can say that from my earliest memories, I have felt a connection with nature, plants, the sky, the trees around me. There is a holy presence in all of it. Growing things is on par with creating. And creating is, in my opinion, one of the closest acts we can get to a connection with Spirit.  

There are so many reasons to garden.

1. Growing your own food is inspiring.
2. Gardening is a great way to connect with your children. It is important for our kids to understand where their food comes from...especially before it is processed and turned into some weird product that doesn't even resemble real food anymore. 
3. Growing your own food, even if it is just herbs, is a beautiful experience. It is truly an amazing act of science, nature, and a miraculous events to witness a plant come from a tiny seed.
4. Gardening has a natural calming affect....trust me, if you feel like crap, just go walk through a garden, or in nature, and you will feel better.

We live in a time where most of our grocery isles are filled with items that aren't even "real" food....which is very sad...and i have to wonder, WHY?

I garden because I love gardening....but I also garden because it is imperative to me that my children grow up with this, if nothing else, in their memory banks, with the hope that as they grow up, they will also remember the importance of growing real food as well....

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...