so now, that i'm here....i'm feeling overwhelmed....i have been wanting to be self employed and be able to support my family with my artwork, or creations for years....years...and now...now that i am actually forced by the universe to take this leap...i'm scared to deathe...and feel like i'm not getting enough done...
I have decided to do an inventory of my abilities...in comparison to what i was doing as a public school art teacher...and what will be required of me to make this happen as a self employed artist....
as a public school teacher, i was required to wear many hats....i was not JUST a teacher...i don't know any teacher who is anymore....the amounts of paperwork and documentation alone is enough to qualify any teacher for any office job...ANY!....
as a teacher i did the following:
- maintained files and documents
- organized information on numerous levels
- organized presentations via power point, hands on demos,and game show hosting skills
- graded, documented said grades and contacted parents about said grades on a daily basis for 100's of students
- arranged meetings with parents
- maintained contact with parents and students
- kept up with inventory to to be used by students for a whole year
- found information to inspire students to go beyond their normal level of creativity on artwork
- maintained and kept up with all school policies and procedures
- maintained classroom order and managed an average of 200 students every year
- and i could go on
how can this help me as a self employed artist?
- basic office management skills- for tax purposes
- ability to book and organize events
- ability to promote and produce PR
- ability to maintain contacts
- keeping up with inventory of supplies used for business
- finding information to keep myself inspired
- ability to find information necessary for business maintenance
- ability to run a household, take care of a newborn, kiddo, and run a business....
i can do this....i just have to keep reminding myself that i actually can do this....