Thursday, May 9, 2013

my yoga story: How i got started

(So, i realized that i haven't really talked much about the Yoga part of my life...Here's to putting in a little more effort on that front...)


SO you may wonder how this old gal found herself teaching yoga?

Well, I'm still trying to figure it out myself...but, in a nutshell...it started 11 years ago...when my son was still an infant.
I joined a gym.
They had yoga and childcare.
I took the class.
I made it through the class. 
I was really excited that I actually completed the class.
I never liked exercising in groups. 
I'm not the physically competitive sort.
I had been struggling with anxiety attacks, exhaustion, fatigue, weight gain, (which in retrospect was the beginning of my autoimmune symptoms).
Yoga helped me feel stronger and calm. 
Two days after that first class...I felt like I got hit by a bus...it was the first time I had ever felt like that. 
Right then and there I knew, that Yoga was the first exercise I had ever done that left me feeling better yet knowing I had really worked out.

From there, Life happened...like it does...I practiced off and on, mostly on my own, when I felt especially stressed. I lived in a rural area for several years and didn't now where to look for classes. It wasn't until years later and the beginning (?) of my midlife crisis when I declared to my Hubs ...

"I WANT TO STUDY YOGA"

He, that sweet man, just looked at me, as though this was the most normal thing i could have ever said to him, and simply said, "ok...."

With this, I had a plan in my mind that I would work out for 6 months,build up my strength and then start whatever program I felt comfortable with that winter...

Within 2 weeks I found the program I wanted to be a part of...signed up and was in my first class...

Yeah....

It was quite a whirlwind, and the beginning or many life lessons I needed to relearn...

I am still growing in my practice. Everyday is a new challenge or lesson to be learned. And I am grateful for it.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...