Tuesday, December 4, 2012

routines, quirks, and methods





The older I get, the more I understand that there are a few things I have to have in order to get work done. I have read about other artists who have their little routines, quirks, or methods that help them feel centered. I never realized just how important my quirks, routines, methods, were to my process until I wasn't able to do them...(this is life with a two year old...adjustments must be made....)

While taking a much needed break, to contemplate how I could possibly get more work done...I came up with list of things I need in order to operate...


 1. A place to work. While I am able to work almost anywhere, and always carry supplies with me everywhere I go...(something i learned to do over 11 years ago with my oldest so i could take advantage of any possible moments of free time)...I find that I have gotten to the point where I need my own space to be able to create. In the last two years I have moved my "studio" from our formal living room that we never used (and we do now as the family den)....to the formal dining room. And now, I simply work wherever I can...whenever...But, this is no longer working out. I am desperate for my own space. I need the freedom of being able to come and go from projects without worrying that they will be ruined by the dog, or curious hands. I also need to be able to walk away from a project and come back. The freedom of having one's own space sounds amazing. I am currently renovating the garage...IN MY MIND....for my next studio space...either that, or i'm going to get rid of our clothes and move into our closet...desperate times call for desperate measure...

2. I need peace and quiet....when I am working on a project, it is like a form of meditation. I need to be free of interruption for a block of time in order to fully comprehend the process... (i'm pretty sure i'm going to have to either completely lose my hearing, or wear earplugs for the rest of my life for this to happen...)

3. I need limited supplies...when I have too many supplies to choose from, my brain gets overwhelmed by the infinite possibilities...so, I have learned to purposefully limit myself when that  that overwhelming feeling comes on. Usually limiting myself two three items max at a time. 

4. Time....I need time to myself that no one else has dibs on..... while I can get things done in that super-mom-multi-tasking sort of way, I do not enjoy it. I need time to myself to be able to fully focus. This is something I really struggle with as a stay-at-home-mom. My time is never my own. In fact the last few months that I have been working more, have been filled with great frustration for me because I have not figured out how to manage this yet. I am still working on it. 

5. Rest:I used to be able to stay up all night working on a piece...not anymore...I have to rest or my brain and body shuts down.  I feel mandatory nap times becoming more and more mandatory.

 6. Health: if I don't feel well, nothing will be created. So, doing yoga, eating balanced meals, resting, taking my vitamins, are all imperative to my creative process. 

7. My overalls: the overalls I wear are hand-me-downs from my father over 15 years ago. They are covered in paint and falling apart. I just realized it might be time for a new pair...

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...