Thursday, July 4, 2013

my yoga story: not a standard yoga teacher

So.....truth be told....I am always hesitant to tell people that I am a yoga teacher....

Why?

Couple of reasons...of course...

1. I don't "look" like a yoga teacher....

I don't "look" like what I think a yoga teacher should look like. I'm just not that stereotypical skinny girl with the long flowing hair,perfect skin, vegetarian/vegan diet, perfect tan, perfect teeth, also known as...a human pretzle....

2. I'm not one of those "rock star" yoga teachers...

you know what I mean....those teachers that walk into the room and can perform their own one man/woman circus act...kinda like Cirque du soleil...and your' all...WHOA..... yeah...not me...nope...

3. I don't really run with the "popular kids"....
yes, there is a "popular kids" pack in every single social situation you will ever find yourself in for the rest of you life....if there is one...and there is...you won't find me in it....not my thing...too much drama...and yes there is drama in yoga...




So when people find out I actually teach yoga...and trust me, i'm working out my own issues with actually using the word "teacher".....but especially if  they don't know me, I'm pretty sure that I kinda bust their brain up for a bit...some people actually have a physical reaction...you know...that whole double take thing...of "WTH!?" as if their brain just farted....and I kinda like rocking their world like that...

On the other hand,some people feel better about being in my class...because they can relate to me and I can relate to them...these are usually people with hip, knee, autoimmune, shoulder and back issues...they are usually afraid to try yoga because of various reason...but, then they see me...and they stick it out...

But,then there are those who give me the once-over, and for some reason think they need to come and either critique me and my class, or walk out...it happens...i have held my toungue very patiently when the critiques come....it is just best that way....


How do I handle this?

Well, I have come to understand that acceptance of myself is really what matters.

Judgement from others...in all reality, has nothing to do with me really...

Judging people is something people have to deal with within themselves...

Stereotypes...aren't real...they are just categories people pigeon-hole people or things in so they can wrap their brains around life...

I enjoy busting that mold...

So, if you ever take a class with me, (right now) you won't find me doing a million handstands or wild things...what you will find is a place where the intention of the practice is simply to help you find peace....that's it...I'm not trying to show off for you and show you just how twisty and bendy i can get....the class isn't about me at all...the class is purely about and for you...fighting your own demons...just like everyone else...including me...





No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...