Monday, October 28, 2013

Open Studio Tour

Last weekend I dragged the hubs and the youngest to a small studio tour in Frisco. We have attended the White Rock lake Studio tour in the past, and thoroughly enjoyed it. So when I saw that Frisco was having one, I jumped at the chance to see studios that were a little closer to home.

Having said that, we only made it to two stops on the tour...not because we weren't impressed, but because, that was all it took for me to get my creative cup filled... I'm still inspired....

Our first stop was Gallery 8690.
This is a cool space. Out front we found a vintage VW van....swooning over this beautiful machine does not really explain my love....Latte colored exterior and white seats...a striped awning off the side with doors open  and outdoor lounge area....yes, I swooned just a little bit...

And THEN we went inside the actual gallery....

Inside, we found amazing vintage couches and chairs....the furniture alone is eye candy.... There was a royal Blue lounge that i can't erase from my mind...in fact i'm rearranging my furniture and choosing which pieces to discard just entertaining the idea of my decor because of that couch...

The next thing we noticed was the artwork...i wish i could remember the artist's name now...but it was everywhere, and the color made me want to bust out my own paints and just have fun...

Then i noticed the musical instruments, the stage, and how the furniture was lined up...Turns out this gallery is also a church....and all i can say to that is "wow"...

Music, Art,  and vintage furniture ...honestly, for me, that alone is my church...seriously... just being in that space is holy....

We left there when my heart just felt too overwhelmed with it all and i just needed the break of space in finding the next studio to reset and clear my own emotional space.

Our next and, turned out to be, last stop, was the private home studio of Misty Oliver Foster.

The first thing we noticed was the amazing tree in the front yard...(we're tree people...we rate trees by how awesome they would be to climb...hers is awesome...) The next thing is her cool garden and walkway. Paintings are displayed on the outside of her studio, brightly colored chairs, her great yard, and then, when you think you have seen it all....you go into the studio....

Her studio is a renovated garage with a screened in porch and an extended deck...inside it is nothing but pure inspiration... from her disco ball suspended and turning from a vintage record player, to her counter top where friends and other artists are hanging out...

In Misty's Studio I just wanted to sit down and hang out all afternoon. and just take in the creative air from her beautiful paintings, art journals, and drawings, to her wall of inspiration. Yeah, i could just park it there and not leave...And it doesn't hurt that Misty is just as warm and friendly as her studio...

Misty was awesome enough to also have two other artists' showing their work there as well. One of which, Carolyn M. Nelson, was working on one of her portraits as we took in all of the creativity surrounding us. I love her portraits...bright colors...large scale...zoomed in....love them...and can i just say she is cool as can be?


After this visit, i just needed time to process..that's my thang...i need time to think about what i have going on in my cabeza.... so we found a super cute local-owned restraunt, had some amazing barbacoa and lengua tacos, Orchata, and juevos rancheros, and processed....

Here it is, over a week later...and I am still buzzing from the inspiration....and wondering..."why don't we have something like that in my town?"

There are several artists, in my neighborhood ALONE....

And now my wheels are turning....



No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...