Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Don't Brag and Necessary Evil

so, i just had business cards printed....really...


I met a really helpful artist at 500x about a month ago. he handed me his business card, which had his artwork on the front and basic info on the back...it was perfect, really...We chatted a bit and i really took some things he said to heart.

It was really nice to talk to another artist. I often times find that, unless i make a great effort to get out and actually speak to people, meeting other artists is very hard for me...

I am usually stuck in my world of commuting to work, picking up kiddo, and commuting back home, finding something for us to fix for dinner, and then usually by, about, say, 9  i finally get to sit down...this leaves little to no time to meet/socialize/ hold a basic conversation with other artists...there is no other communication, with the exception of the blessing i have in my dear hubby who understands my wavelengths like no one else...well, other than my kiddo...

but this is about business cards, right?

So, after a month of pondering, i finally asked  above nice artist for the link and he graciously sent it to me today...i would list his name and artwork here, but i haven't asked him that yet and am still trying to figure out how to do this whole artblog thing without inviting too much but still allowing just enough to promote the art....

but, i digress...again...

he sent it to me today and it took me less than 30 minutes to design and order my new business cards, which i will have to start making a point to pass out to people...this will take some getting used to on my part....the idea of self promotion is something that shakes me to my core...and causes that anxious vibration in my soul that i don't like so much...if at all....

It is something that goes against my grain...against my nature...it is something that goes back to childhood...the whole..."don't brag about yourself"  lesson...that keeps  me in check and settled in the quiet humility...and very much in the world of NO SELF PROMOTION.....

unfortunately...as an artist...as a person, whose work/artwork...is their business...self promotion is a necessary evil...and one that i suspect other artists struggle with as well....

having said that...i whole heartedly believe in helping others...that the karma of helping others is a huge blessing to one's life...that whole, do unto others thing...and all that...i'm not the type of person who keeps my info to myself when it comes to others being more successful than me...i have witnessed people do this...withhold info from others because they don't want them to get ahead of them...i don't see how that is helpful to anyone...and so...


here is the link to Zazzle, where i just ordered my business cards...i hope it helps someone else out there....

and I cannot wait until my business cards get here...so i can possibly pass them out at Art Con 5.....

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...